SDFD Battalion Chief Mike McBride said they ended up transporting seven family members to a local hospital as a result of smoke inhalation and other injuries
Seven people were taken to a hospital with multiple severe injuries after a fire sparked inside a home in the Rolando area Sunday morning, the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department said.
Fire officials received a call at around 6 a.m. about a house fire in the 6100 block of Malcolm Drive and reports of five family members trapped inside the home.
SDFD Battalion Chief Mike McBride said once firefighters arrived at the house, they immediately began cutting off window bars until they reached a room where they found people inside.
“One of my firefighters said that a family member reached out through that window and grabbed him by the arm,” McBride said.
They were able to get four to five people out from that room. Other firefighters reached the other side of the house where they were able to find another person and were able to get them out.
McBride said they ended up transporting seven family members to a local hospital as a result of smoke inhalation and other injuries.